If you happen to be thinking of a new bed this fall or winter, upcoming Labor Day mattress deals present one of the best opportunities to get a good deal. In this guide, we’ll go over the details of the this year’s sales and compare the top beds by category to save you a little time and stress.
There are several deals in all price ranges this year, and for all mattress types, from memory foam to innersprings and hybrids to latex. Read on to compare the 2016 Labor Day mattress deals and get tips for picking the best bed.
But first, here are the TheBest-Mattress top picks for those who can’t wait.
Labor Day Mattress Sale Top Picks
|Bed||Highlighted For||Price (Queen)||Retailer|
|Beautyrest Recharge Madelyn Pillowtop Set||Great Entry-Level Innerspring Value||$796||Sears|
|Amerisleep Revere Bed||Best Memory Foam Value||$1099||Amerisleep.com|
|Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Set||Good Luxury Innerspring Deal||$1299||Sleepy's|
|Astrabeds Harmony Bed||Top Latex Mattress Sale||$2249||Astrabeds.com|
2016 Labor Day Mattress Deals: When, Who, What & Where
See when and where to shop and get the scoop on this year’s Labor Day deals. These are the deals on and around Labor Day 2016.
When to Shop?
Most Labor Day mattress sales will start the weekend before the holiday (September 7). Some will start the week before, and a few brands have already started promoting deals or pre-sales. It’s always smart to scope out beds and options even before sales begin so you know what you are looking for ahead of time.
Who Has Labor Day Mattress Deals?
Labor Day is a major shopping holiday for retailers, so just about every major department store, big box store, mattress showroom and even online retailers will have some type of promotion going on. Most have many different deals for shoppers. Each is trying to outdo the other while vying for your business.
In the past, we’ve found mattress sales at Sears, Macy’s, Walmart, Mattress Firm, Overstock.com, 1800Mattress.com, Amerisleep.com, Sleepy’s and others, and we expect similar or more offers this year. Regional or local retailers will also likely have deals, but we’ve focused on nationally-available deals in this guide.
Labor Day Mattress Sales by Type
We’ve collected all the deals we could find from major national retailers, from ads, retailer websites, news releases, deal websites and other sources. As more continue coming out, we’ll do our best to keep this page updated.
Some stores are offering line-wide deals on brands; rather than including every model in the comparison, we just chose 1-2 popular models to compare in the charts below. After the tables, you can find detailed summaries of all 2016 Labor Day mattress deals grouped by individual store.
Memory Foam Mattress Deals
Memory foam mattresses receive the highest ratings in owner satisfaction of all the mattress types. They offer more uniform support and create fewer pressure points than innerspring mattresses. There are three types of memory foam mattresses:
- Traditional memory foam mattresses use petroleum-based foams, which tend to create odors. While known for being durable and comfortable, traditional memory foams are temperature sensitive, with a slow-response feel that can feel like being “stuck” at higher densities.
- Gel memory foam mattresses typically also use petroleum based foams, either infused with gel or with gel layers in the comfort layers to decrease heat retention. Reviews indicate a slightly cooler feel on initial touch, but reviews from sources like Consumer Reports suggest little overall difference between gel and non-gel foams.
- Plant-based memory foam mattresses have a significant amount of natural foam derived from plants in them which reduces odors. Some types emit low to no VOCs, and also exhibit temperature neutral properties for faster responsiveness.
When shopping for memory foam mattresses, find out what your mattress is made of. Though memory foam in general receives great reviews, each mattress is different. Pay attention to foam densities, too. Each mattress is made from 2 or more layers of foam of varying densities. Higher-quality foams tend to be more dense.
In the tables, reviews are from retail sites. “NR” in the ratings column is for mattresses that did not have a rating on the retail site. Question marks indicate we could not find the data in question or it is not listed.
Here are some of the memory foam mattress deals for this Labor Day season:
(Out of 5)
3” 4lb plant MF
3" 4lb plant MF
|Macy's||Serta iComfort Foresight Set||$1272||Firm|
?” ? lb gel MF + ?" poly foam
|Macy's||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Elite Extra Soft Queen Mattress Set||$3299||12.5" profile|
4" memory foam
8" foam base
|Mattress Firm||Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury Plush Set||$499||Plush|
1” ? lb gel MF
|Mattress Firm||Serta Perfect Sleeper Kozma Set||$799||Plush|
2” ? lb gel MF, 2" foam
|Serta||iComfort Prodigy III Queen Set||$2074||Med-soft|
3" gel MF, 2" MF
9" foam core
|Tempurpedic||Tempur Contour Rhapsody Luxe Mattress||$3299||Med-firm|
?” ?lb MF
Innerspring Mattress Deals
The most commonly sold mattress, innersprings rate lower than latex and memory foam mattresses in customer satisfaction. These mattresses are made using one of four types of coil systems:
- Continuous coil systems are made from many coils connected in a single piece. They are durable, but motion transferring is an issue.
- Bonnell coil systems use individual hour-glassed shaped coils are typically less expensive, but less durable than other systems.
- Double offset coil systems are similar to continuous coil systems, but they are more conforming.
- Pocketed coil systems are made of individually-wrapped coils and are generally more expensive, but provide the best motion isolation.
When trying to figure out which is best for you, consider how frequently the bed will be used, how heavy the users will be, your budget, and firmness options. You can get away with a cheaper, less durable mattress if it won’t be used much, or will be used lightly.
Here are some of the best innerspring mattress deals for Labor Day 2016:
|Specs||Warranty||Reviews (Out of 5)|
|Macy's||Sealy Posturepedic Orchard Valley Firm Set||$397||Firm|
1” foam + 0.2" gel center
? bonnell coils
|Macy's||Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm Set||$697||Firm|
?" fiber + foam top
660 pocket coils
|Macy's||Serta Perfect Sleeper Hybrid Elegant Retreat Set||$997||Plush|
?” foam + gel MF top
886 pocket coils
|Macy's||Hotel Collection by Aireloom Vitagenic Copper Gel Firm Set||$1797||Firm|
?” copper MF, foam top
? pocket coils
|Mattress Firm||Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 11.5” Euro Top Set||$799||Firm|
4” foam + 0.5" gel center
704 pocket coils
|1800Mattress||Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Plush Set||$783||Plush|
?" foam top, latex band in middle
800 pocket coils
|1800Mattress||Tempur-Flex Elite Mattress Set||$3399||Plush|
?" MF + foam top
Unspecified coil type/count
|Sears||Beautyrest Recharge Madelyn Pillow Top Set||$796||Plush|
?” foam + gel foam top
800 pocket coils
|Sleepy's||Ortho Posture 11 Inch Essential Comfort Firm Set||$499||Medium|
?” foam top
2000 pocket coils (coil-on-coil)
|Sleepy's||Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Set||$1299||Firm|
3.25” foam + 0.5" gel + 1.5" MF top
1000 pocket coils
Latex Mattress Deals
Just under memory foam mattresses in consumer satisfaction ratings, latex mattresses are becoming more popular every day. All natural latex beds can even rate higher than memory foam, and some people prefer the “springier” nature of latex.
The latex used in these mattresses varies between a few types. You might see synthetic, blended, natural, and even certified organic.
- Natural and organic latex derives from the sap of the rubber tree with very minimal additives, especially for the Dunlop process of manufacturing.
- Synthetics come from petroleum. Synthetic latex receives more reports of odors, has less durability, and doesn’t offer from the “eco-friendly” or green benefits that natural foams offer.
- Certified organic latex is monitored by the Global Organic Latex Standard, with strict requirements on how the trees are grown and how the foam is processed to maintain purity.
Here are the latex mattress deals for Labor Day 2016:
|Store||Bed||Price (Queen)||Specs||Warranty||Reviews (Out of 5)|
|Astrabeds||Astrabeds Harmony Bed||$2,249.00||10” profile, custom|
9” organic latex
Organic cotton/wool cover
|Overstock||Natures Rest Virtue Luxury Plush EuroTop Set||$2,099.99||17" profile|
3.75" poly foam
5.5" synthetic/blended latex foams
5" latex core
|20 year prorated||NR|
Adjustable Bed Deals
Providing supreme comfort, adjustable bed bases are being found in more and more homes. The simplest models allow you to customize your beds shape by raising the head and feet of the bed. More elaborate models have some pretty amazing features. You can find them with varying massage settings, wireless remotes, and even built-in sound systems.
Take a look at the adjustable bed deals for Labor Day 2016:
|Store||Brand/Model||Key Specs||Features||Warranty||Price (Queen)||Reviews|
(Out of 5)
|Amerisleep||Amerisleep Adjustable Bed||58° head angle|
44° foot angle
550 lbs. capacity
Custom, flat presets
USB / Lighting
1 full / 3 parts
|$1520 (with mattress purchase)||4.8|
|Astrabeds||ErgoStar Evolution||60° head angle|
45° foot angle
550 lbs. capacity
Zero gravity, flat presets
Removable legs w/ casters
1 full / 3 parts
|$1599 (with mattress purchase)||4.6|
|Macy's||Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Ergo Premier||70° head angle|
650 lbs. capacity
9”, 6.5”, or 4.5” legs w/ casters
5 full / lifetime limited
|Mattress Firm||Leggett and Platt 100 Adjustable Base||?° head angle|
?° foot angle
No wall hug
700 lbs. capacity
|Unspecified||$449 (with select mattress purchase)||4.0|
|Serta||Serta Motion Perfect II||60° head angle|
13° waist to knee angle
50° knee to foot angle
400 lbs. (King split, per side) capacity
Zero gravity, flat, reading presets
1 full / 5 parts
|$1500 (with mattress purchase)||NR|
Labor Day Mattress Deals by Store
Here are the major national retail stores and online brands we found offering Labor Day mattress deals this year, listed alphabetically.
Online at Amerisleep.com, 9/2-9/5.
- $200 off any plant-based memory foam mattress with code “LD200”. Includes free shipping and free returns. Examples:
- $849 – Americana Bed Queen Mattress
- $1099 – Revere Bed Queen Mattress
- $2099 – Independence Bed Queen Mattress
- 20% off Amerisleep adjustable bed with the purchase of any mattress
- $1520 in queen, $2880 in split king
Online at Astrabeds.com, 9/2-9/5.
- $150 off any size Harmony organic latex mattress with code “LABORDAY”. Includes free shipping and free comfort exchanges.
- $2249 – Harmony Bed Queen Mattress
- 20% off Ergo Evolution adjustable base with the purchase of any mattress
- $1599 in queen, $3038 in split king
Online at Macys.com and in stores, through 9/5.
- $147 – Sealy Cedar Valley Firm Queen Set
- $297 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Calm Canyon Firm Queen Set
- $397 – Beautyrest Classic Jillian Firm Queen Set
- $397 – Sealy Posturepedic Orchard Valley Firm Queen Set
- $497 – Sealy Posturepedic Cherry Hill Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Beautyrest Classic Bethany Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Ltd. Cushion Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Gentle Retreat Extra Firm or Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $797 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Ltd. Cushion Firm or Plush Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $797 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Gentle Retreat Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $797 – Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $897 – Sealy Posturepedic Knotty Pines Firm, Cushion Firm or Plush Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $997 – Beautyrest Recharge Plus Santa Rosa Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $997 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Hybrid Elegant Retreat Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $1272 – Serta iComfort Foresight Cushion Firm Memory Foam Queen Set
- $1297 – Stearns and Foster Estate Garrick Luxury Firm or Luxury Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $1797 – Beautyrest Black Giada Extra Firm Queen Set
- $1797 – Hotel Collection by Aireloom Vitagenic Copper Gel Firm Queen Set
- $2337 – Beautyrest Black Viviane Luxury Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $3299 – Tempurpedic Cloud Elite Extra Soft Queen Set
- $100-$300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses
- $50-$200 Tempur Ergo Premier and Ergo Plus adjustable bases
- $1949 – Tempurpedic Ergo Premier base
- Free box spring with Serta iComfort, Beautyrest World Class Hybrid, and Beautyrest Recharge World Class
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores, through 9/5.
- $159 – Hampton and Rhodes Firm Queen Set (doorbuster, model unspecified)
- $199 – Hampton and Rhodes Pillowtop Queen Set (doorbuster, model unspecified)
- $299 – Sealy Parsons 8.5” Firm Queen Set
- $299 – Hampton and Rhodes HR200 7.5” Medium Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $399 – Hampton and Rhodes HR300 9” Plush Queen Set
- $399 – Sealy Posturepedic Ashlin 9.75” Firm Queen Set
- $449 – Hampton and Rhodes HR340 10.5” Pillow Top Queen Set
- $449 – Hampton and Rhodes HR320 10” Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Hampton and Rhodes HR400 11.5” Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury 8” Plush Memory Foam Queen Set
- $549 – Hampton and Rhodes HR420S 12.25” Plush Queen Set
- $599 – Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Hampton and Rhodes HR440 12.5” Pillowtop Queen Set
- $699 – Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 10.5” Firm Queen Set
- $699 – Beautyrest Recharge Ashaway 11” Plush Queen Set
- $699 – Hampton and Rhodes Kona 13” Limited Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $799 – Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 11.5” Euro Top Queen Set
- $799 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Kozma 10” Plush Memory Foam Queen Set
- $799 – Beautyrest Recharge Hartfield 11.5” Luxury Firm Queen Set
- $899 – Sealy Posturepedic Chaleigh 12.5” Plush Queen Set
- $3199 – Serta SmartReact Park Vista Firm Queen Set
- $3299 – Beautyrest Black Hybrid Clermont Pillow Top Queen Set
- $3499 – Tempur-Cloud Supreme HD Queen Set
- $4798 – Tempur-Contour Rhapsody Luxe and Tempur-Ergo Plus Adjustable Base Queen Set
- Up to $300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses
- Up to $200 gift card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets
- Get up to $200 store credit with select custom collection sets from Beautyrest Black Hybrid, Tempurpedic Supreme HD or Serta SmartReact lines (applies to pillows, protectors, delivery)
- $449 Leggett and Platt 100 adjustable base with purchase of Custom Collection Beautyrest Black Hybrid or Serta SmartReact Elite mattresses
Online at 1800Mattress.com, dates unknown.
- Up to 60% off Sealy, Serta, Hampton & Rhodes, and Beautyrest mattress sets.
- $199 – 1800 Mattress Collection Ortho-Posture Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $429 – Serta Posturepedic Classic Series Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Serta Sertapedic Brookstone 7 Inch Gel Foam Queen Set
- $783 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Plush Queen Set
- $997 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Luxury Super Pillowtop Queen Set
- $1599 – Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Firm Queen Set
- $2049 – Simmons Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Super Pillowtop Queen Set
- $3399 – Tempur-Flex Elite Mattress Queen Set
Online at Overstock.com, TBA.
- Check back soon!
Online at Sears.com and in retail stores, through 9/11.
- $149 – Serta Coralee Queen Mattress
- $388 – Sealy Posturepedic Carrsville Queen Set
- $388 – Serta Amber Creek Memory Foam Queen Set
- $588 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Taryn Queen Set
- $588 – Sealy Posturepedic Keene Euro Top Queen Set
- $796 – Sealy Posturepedic Leola Tight Top Queen Set
- $796 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Springview Super Pillow Top Queen Set
- $796 – Beautyrest Recharge Madelyn Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Sealy Posturepedic Leola Euro Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Glenellen Super Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Beautyrest Recharge Ultra St. Caroline Tight Top Queen Set
- $50 Sears card with select beds over $749
- $100 Sears card with Beautyrest Platinum sets
- $200 Sears card with Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid or Stearns and Foster sets
- $300 Sears card with Tempurpedic or Tempur-Flex mattress sets
- Free boxspring with Serta iComfort and iComfort Hybrid mattresses
- Up to 60% off mattress sets
- $75-$800 off adjustable base sets (savings vary by brand/model/size)
Online at Serta and in some retailers, through 9/12.
- Up to $800 off Serta Adjustable Base and Mattress Sets ($200-$300 off queen sets)
- $2774 and up – Queen iComfort memory foam and adjustable sets
- $2574 and up – Queen iComfort Hybrid spring and adjustable sets
- Free boxspring with iComfort mattresses
- $1074 and up – Queen Innerspring Hybrid mattress sets
- $1274 and up – Queen Memory Foam mattress sets
Online at sleepys.com and in stores, through 9/5.
- Up to ½ off every mattress.
- $199 – Ortho Posture Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $299 – Sealy 5 Inch Emmett Creek Foam Firm Queen Set
- $399 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Ortho Posture 11 Inch Essential Comfort Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Laura Ashley Ainsley Plush Queen Set
- $699 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Plush Queen Set
- $799 – Sealy Posturepedic Santa Ana Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $899 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $1099 – Sealy Posturepedic Port Luxury Plush Queen Set
- $1299 – Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- Free boxspring with any Serta mattress.
- Up to $600 of G.S. Stearns mattresses (queen sets from $1899), and up to $600 off Reflexion 4 adjustable base.
- From up to $300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses and up to $200 off select Tempur Ergo adjustable base sets.
Online at Tempurpedic.com, through 9/11.
- Up to $300 off Elite and Luxe lines ($200 in queen size). Examples:
- $2999 – Tempur Cloud Elite Queen Mattress
- $3299 – Tempur Cloud Rhapsody Luxe Queen Mattress
- $4499 – Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze Queen Mattress
- Up to $200 card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets (in queen size, $75 with Ergo Plus, $150 with Ergo Premier)
Online at Walmart.com and in some stores, TBA.
- Check back soon!
Coming Home With the Best Mattress
Even when buying a bed on sale, you probably still want a comfortable mattress that will be durable and worth your money. Since you’ll be spending several hours a day here for several years, there’s a little more to getting a good mattress than price alone.
From quality to guarantees, research can pay off big and make the difference from getting a great bed or on you’ll regret. Here’s our shortlist of key things to research and compare when shopping.
TBM Shopping Checklist:
- Prepare First – Before making a buying decision, explore different mattress options, get an idea of the materials/firmness you prefer, and know mattress size and other must-have details.
- Learn About Types – Every mattress type has pros and cons, and being aware of these can help you identify what might work best with your preferences.
- Compare Specs, not Brand/Price – Brand and price don’t really tell you much about a mattress. To get the full picture, you want to look under the cover at what’s inside and how the quality stacks up to other options. If a brand makes it hard to find specification information, especially on a sale mattress, take it as a flag.
- Check Reviews – Take a look online and try to locate reviews for the bed(s) that interest you. Forums, blogs, review websites and retailer websites are potential sources, and reviews can tell you about quality, comfort, service and other factors.
- Check Warranties – Read the fine print – ask what portion includes full coverage versus prorated, depth of sagging covered, and about any exclusions or actions that void coverage.
- Check Return Policies – Even on sale, you should be able to return a mattress within a reasonable amount of time. It takes several days to weeks to adjust to a new bed, especially if you are trying a new type.
Bring Better Sleep Home
Learn more about shopping and comparisons in our previous guides, including our article on avoiding mattress showroom tricks, guide to finding the best bed, or our 2016 comparison of top mattress brands.
By doing a little research and taking the time to comparison shop and ask the right questions, you equip yourself to choose not only a good deal, but a good mattress during holiday sales. Just as with anything in life, knowledge is power.
When you prepare and shop smart, buying a new bed doesn’t have to be hard or stressful, and many of this year’s Labor Day mattress sales can even be accessed online from the comfort of your home.
Have a happy holiday weekend, and bookmark this page for the latest on 2016 Labor Day mattress deals and comment below with any questions!