If you happen to be thinking of a new bed this fall or winter, upcoming Labor Day mattress deals present one of the best opportunities to get a good deal. In this guide, we’ll go over the details of the this year’s sales and compare the top beds by category to save you a little time and stress.
There are several deals in all price ranges this year, and for all mattress types, from memory foam to innersprings and hybrids to latex. Read on to compare the 2017 Labor Day mattress deals and get tips for picking the best bed.
But first, here are the TheBest-Mattress top picks for those who can’t wait.
Labor Day Mattress Sale Top Picks
|Bed||Highlighted For||Price (Queen)||Retailer|
|Amerisleep AS3 Mattress||Best Memory Foam Value||$1199||Amerisleep.com|
|Simmons Beautyrest World Class Resonance Plush Set||Good Luxury Innerspring Deal||$1599||Mattress Firm|
2017 Labor Day Mattress Deals: When, Who, What & Where
See when and where to shop and get the scoop on this year’s Labor Day deals. These are the deals on and around Labor Day 2017.
When to Shop?
Most Labor Day mattress sales will start the weekend before the holiday (September 4). Some will start the week before, and a few brands have already started promoting deals or pre-sales. It’s always smart to scope out beds and options even before sales begin so you know what you are looking for ahead of time.
Who Has Labor Day Mattress Deals?
Labor Day is a major shopping holiday for retailers, so just about every major department store, big box store, mattress showroom and even online retailers will have some type of promotion going on. Most have many different deals for shoppers. Each is trying to outdo the other while vying for your business.
In the past, we’ve found mattress sales at Sears, Macy’s, Walmart, Mattress Firm, Overstock.com, 1800Mattress.com, Amerisleep.com, Sleepy’s and others, and we expect similar or more offers this year. Regional or local retailers will also likely have deals, but we’ve focused on nationally-available deals in this guide.
Labor Day Mattress Sales by Type
We’ve collected all the deals we could find from major national retailers, from ads, retailer websites, news releases, deal websites and other sources. As more continue coming out, we’ll do our best to keep this page updated.
Some stores are offering line-wide deals on brands; rather than including every model in the comparison, we just chose 1-2 popular models to compare in the charts below. After the tables, you can find detailed summaries of all 2017 Labor Day mattress deals grouped by individual store.
Memory Foam Mattress Deals
Memory foam mattresses receive the highest ratings in owner satisfaction of all the mattress types. They offer more uniform support and create fewer pressure points than innerspring mattresses. There are three types of memory foam mattresses:
- Traditional memory foam mattresses use petroleum-based foams, which tend to create odors. While known for being durable and comfortable, traditional memory foams are temperature sensitive, with a slow-response feel that can feel like being “stuck” at higher densities.
- Gel memory foam mattresses typically also use petroleum based foams, either infused with gel or with gel layers in the comfort layers to decrease heat retention. Reviews indicate a slightly cooler feel on initial touch, but reviews from sources like Consumer Reports suggest little overall difference between gel and non-gel foams.
- Plant-based memory foam mattresses have a significant amount of natural foam derived from plants in them which reduces odors. Some types emit low to no VOCs, and also exhibit temperature neutral properties for faster responsiveness.
When shopping for memory foam mattresses, find out what your mattress is made of. Though memory foam in general receives great reviews, each mattress is different. Pay attention to foam densities, too. Each mattress is made from 2 or more layers of foam of varying densities. Higher-quality foams tend to be more dense.
In the tables, reviews are from retail sites. “NR” in the ratings column is for mattresses that did not have a rating on the retail site. Question marks indicate we could not find the data in question or it is not listed.
Here are some of the memory foam mattress deals for this Labor Day season:
(Out of 5)
2” 4lb plant MF
3" 4lb plant MF
2" affinity layer
|Macy's||Serta Perfect Sleeper Tranquil Haven Cushion Firm Set||$997||Med-firm|
?" gel MF + foam
|Macy's||Macybed Lux Plus 11" Firm Set||$1397||Firm|
?” ? lb gel MF
|Mattress Firm / Sleepy's||Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury Plush Set||$399||Plush|
1” ? lb gel MF
|Mattress Firm||Simmons Beautyrest Black Phoebe Plush Set||$3199||Plush|
1” ? lb MF, 2" gel MF, 1.5" MF, 1.5" foam
|Mattress Firm||Dream Bed Lux LX710 Mattress||$4599||Plush|
6” ? lb MF, 3" foam 'springs'
|Serta||Serta iComfort Blue 300 Firm Set||$1399||Firm|
0.75" gel MF, 1" MF, 1" foam, 1.5" MF
|Sears||Sealy Conform Thrilled Plush Set||$1549||Plush|
?" gel MF
|Tempurpedic||Tempur Contour Rhapsody Luxe Mattress||$3599||Med-firm|
?” ?lb MF
?" foam layer
Innerspring Mattress Deals
The most commonly sold mattress, innersprings rate lower than latex and memory foam mattresses in customer satisfaction. These mattresses are made using one of four types of coil systems:
- Continuous coil systems are made from many coils connected in a single piece. They are durable, but motion transferring is an issue.
- Bonnell coil systems use individual hour-glassed shaped coils are typically less expensive, but less durable than other systems.
- Double offset coil systems are similar to continuous coil systems, but they are more conforming.
- Pocketed coil systems are made of individually-wrapped coils and are generally more expensive, but provide the best motion isolation.
When trying to figure out which is best for you, consider how frequently the bed will be used, how heavy the users will be, your budget, and firmness options. You can get away with a cheaper, less durable mattress if it won’t be used much, or will be used lightly.
Here are some of the best innerspring mattress deals for Labor Day 2017:
|Specs||Warranty||Reviews (Out of 5)|
|Macy's||Beautyrest Cove Point Plush Mattress||$387||Med-plush|
?" fiber + foam + gel foam top
815 pocket coils
|Macy's||Sealy Posturepedic Lawson Cushion Firm Euro Top Set||$947||Firm|
2.5” foam + 0.5" gel center
911 pocket coils
|Macy's||Hotel Collection by Aireloom Vitagenic Copper Gel Firm Set||$1797||Firm|
?” copper MF, foam top
675 pocket coils
|Mattress Firm||Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Set||$449||Firm|
1.6” foam top
800 pocket coils
|Mattress Firm||Serta Smart React Sunview Firm Queen Set||$999||Firm|
3" foam + 0.5" gel MF top
886 dual pocket coils
|Mattress Firm||Simmons Beautyrest World Class Bridgewater Set||$1599||Firm|
1.25" foam + 0.75" gel foam + 1.5" foam + 0.375" MF + 1.5" foam top
1000 pocket coils
|Sears||Sealy Response Kenney Firm Set||$299||Firm|
?” foam + gel foam top
638 bonnell coils
|Sears||Stearns & Foster Hustonville Luxury Firm Tight Top Set||$1149||Firm|
Fiber, ?” foam + ?" gel MF foam top
|Sleepy's||Beautyrest World Class Recharge Signature Select Bay Spring Luxury Firm Set||$1149||Firm|
Fiber, 2.75” foam + 2" gel foam + 0.4" MF + 1.5" foam top
850 pocket coils
|Serta||iComfort Hybrid Vantage Firm II Set||$1099||Firm|
Fiber + 3" foam + 0.75" gel MF top
1008 dual pocket coils
|Serta||iComfort Hybrid HB500Q Super Pillow Top Set||$2799||Medium|
Fiber, 2" foam + 2" gel MF + 1" foam top
1008 dual pocket coils
Labor Day Mattress Deals by Store
Here are the major national retail stores and online brands we found offering Labor Day mattress deals this year, listed alphabetically.
Online at Amerisleep.com, 8/29-9/4.
- $200 off any plant-based memory foam mattress with code “LD200”. Includes free shipping and free returns. Examples:
- $999 – AS1 Queen Mattress, Firm
- $1099 – AS2 Queen Mattress, Med-Firm
- $1199 – AS3 Queen Mattress, Medium
- $1499 – AS4 Queen Mattress, Med-Soft
- $1899 – AS5 Queen Mattress, Soft
Online at Macys.com and in stores, starting 8/30.
- Check back soon! No details on mattress sale are in current ad.
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores, dates TBA.
A preview page indicates the following deals, but the full ad is not yet published:
- Up to $500 off Dreambed Lux collection
Free boxspring with Serta iComfort Temptouch models
Free LP50 adjustable base with mattresses over $1399 (not combinable with any other offers or sales)
- 15 models under $699
- Highlights include:
- $179 – $999 – Hampton and Rhodes mattresses
- $306 – $489 – Classic Brands memory foam mattresses
- $449 – $4799 – Simmons mattress sets, including Beautyrest, Beautyrest Black, Beautyrest Black Hybrid and Beautyrest Black Memory Foam models
- $999 – Serta SmartReact Sunview Firm Hybrid Queen Mattress Set
Online at 1800Mattress.com, dates unknown.
- See “Sleepy’s”, the sales appear to be the same.
Online at Overstock.com, TBA.
- Check back soon!
Online at Sears.com and in retail stores, through 9/10.
Up to 60% off beds
- Highlighted deals:
- $299 Sealy Response Kenney Firm Queen mattress only
- $1149 Stearns & Foster Hustonville Luxury Firm Tight Top Queen Set
- Up to $800 off Stearns and Foster set
- Up to $500 off Tempurpedic adjustable bed and mattress sets
- Sears gift card with purchase (for future use):
- $50 Sears card with Beautyrest Silver Navy Pier set
- $100 card with Sealy Premium Goldrick, Silver Hybrid and Conform sets
- $200 Sears reward card with Stearns and Foster or Sealy Response Rosati sets
- $300 Sears card with Tempurpedic mattress sets; in store only
- Free boxspring with select lines, $100-$300 value:
- Sealy Conform (Treat, Optimistic, High Spirits, Fondness, Thrilled, Gratifying)
- Beautyrest Black, Beautyrest Platinum and Platinum Hybrid
- iComfort and iComfort Hybrid beds
Online at Serta and in some retailers, through 9/11.
- Up to $800 off Serta Adjustable Base and Mattress Sets ($200-$300 off queen sets).
- Queen iComfort memory foam and adjustable sets start from $2399.
- Queen iComfort Hybrid spring and adjustable sets start from $2399.
- Free boxspring with iComfort mattresses.
- Innerspring sets from $1099 in queen.
- Memory foam sets from $1099 in queen.
Online at sleepys.com and in stores, dates unspecified.
$199 – Easy Rest 6” Queen Memory Foam Mattress
$199 – Hampton and Rhodes HR200 Medium Firm Euro Top Mattress Only
$299 – Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Queen Spring Mattress Only
$399 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury 8” Plush Memory Foam Mattress Only
$437 – Hampton and Rhodes 8” Cool Gel Foam Queen Mattress Set
Free boxspring with Beautyrest Recharge mattresses
Free boxspring with Serta iComfort mattresses
30% off Eclipse Gel Memory Foam Mattresses, from $679 in queen
Online at Tempurpedic.com, through 9/17.
- Up to $300 off mattresses, based on model and size.
- $150-$300 off Grand, Tempur Breeze and Luxe lines ($200 in queen size)
- $100- $200 off Elite lines ($100 in queen size)
- $50-$100 off Supreme lines ($75 in queen size)
- $50-$200 of adjustable beds when purchased with a mattress. Discount depends on size and model.
- $100-$200 off Ergo Premier
- $50 to $100 off Ergo Plus
Online at Walmart.com and in some stores, TBA.
- Check back soon!
Coming Home With the Best Mattress
Even when buying a bed on sale, you probably still want a comfortable mattress that will be durable and worth your money. Since you’ll be spending several hours a day here for several years, there’s a little more to getting a good mattress than price alone.
From quality to guarantees, research can pay off big and make the difference from getting a great bed or on you’ll regret. Here’s our shortlist of key things to research and compare when shopping.
TBM Shopping Checklist:
- Prepare First – Before making a buying decision, explore different mattress options, get an idea of the materials/firmness you prefer, and know mattress size and other must-have details.
- Learn About Types – Every mattress type has pros and cons, and being aware of these can help you identify what might work best with your preferences.
- Compare Specs, not Brand/Price – Brand and price don’t really tell you much about a mattress. To get the full picture, you want to look under the cover at what’s inside and how the quality stacks up to other options. If a brand makes it hard to find specification information, especially on a sale mattress, take it as a flag.
- Check Reviews – Take a look online and try to locate reviews for the bed(s) that interest you. Forums, blogs, review websites and retailer websites are potential sources, and reviews can tell you about quality, comfort, service and other factors.
- Check Warranties – Read the fine print – ask what portion includes full coverage versus prorated, depth of sagging covered, and about any exclusions or actions that void coverage.
- Check Return Policies – Even on sale, you should be able to return a mattress within a reasonable amount of time. It takes several days to weeks to adjust to a new bed, especially if you are trying a new type.
Bring Better Sleep Home
Learn more about shopping and comparisons in our previous guides, including our article on avoiding mattress showroom tricks, guide to finding the best bed, or our 2017 comparison of top mattress brands.
By doing a little research and taking the time to comparison shop and ask the right questions, you equip yourself to choose not only a good deal, but a good mattress during holiday sales. Just as with anything in life, knowledge is power.
When you prepare and shop smart, buying a new bed doesn’t have to be hard or stressful, and many of this year’s Labor Day mattress sales can even be accessed online from the comfort of your home.
Have a happy holiday weekend, and bookmark this page for the latest on 2017 Labor Day mattress deals and comment below with any questions!